Lance, Becka, & Kayla

Lance, Becka, & Kayla

Monday, July 2, 2012

WHY?

A three letter word that I am sure I have heard at least 200 times since June 1st and will hear it a hundred times more:

Why do we do that, Ms. Becka?
Why is that house broken?
Why does she look like that?
Why are we going there?
Why is that green?
Why is it raining?
Why can't I go?
Why do I have to wear these shoes?
Why do I eat this?
Why does it get dark?
Why, why, why?

My answer to many of the "whys" is "because God wants it to" or "because I said so." As I was thinking about all the "whys" it made me think about our relationship with God. For 2 years we asked "why,God?"

Why do others around us get to be blessed to be parents?
Why can't we get pregnant?
Why can't someone ask us to adopt their child they don't want?
Why do we have to go through this trial?
Why do we have to cry these tears?
Why can't we be parents?
Why, why, why?

And the entire time, God was telling us in a still small voice "because I have a plan for you." Yes, we were listening to God. Yes, we were praying. Yes, we were reading His word. But, being a "child of God" we still asked "why". Just like this child in our home and hearts is now asking us "why".

As parents (and I proudly admit we are NEW at this!) we want to think that "because we said so" is enough, but yet we ask the same "why" to our heavenly father. When He says "because I said so, and it's in My word" He wants that to be enough for us, but we struggle with understanding that it is enough.

So, the next time your child asks "why",
remember you're walking in the same shoes (or running in your "fast" shoes)...

No comments:

Post a Comment